iGEM 2019 Judging Applications
On this page you will find information on: Judging at the Giant Jamboree, Who Should Apply to be a Judge?, Why Should You be an iGEM Judge?, Application Process Judge Benefits, and the Judge Application
Judge applications for the 2019 Giant Jamboree are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
Judging at the Giant Jamboree
Judging in iGEM is a lot of fun, but it does require a strong commitment. iGEM teams work incredibly hard on their projects over the summer, so we need judges who are also committed to work hard to evaluate them and who are willing to take part in the whole process of iGEM judging. If you can spend time learning about the judging process during the summer, evaluating team wikis the week before the Jamboree, and attending the Jamboree from October 31-November 4, 2019, we would love to have you on board!
We need judges — both experienced and new — who really understand iGEM. We are aiming to recruit a judging panel that reflects our teams’ experience, so if you have previous iGEM experience we want you to apply!
As we approach the Giant Jamboree, we will provide educational resources to help judges learn how to evaluate teams (or provide a refresher, for those who have judged before), and we will help you get up to speed if you are selected.
Who Should Apply to be a Judge?
We're looking for:
- iGEM alumni who want to stay involved, including professionals, graduate students, and post-docs
- iGEM PIs, instructors, and advisors, both current and past
- People who have judged iGEM in the past
- Professionals in the synthetic biology, biotechnology, and engineering industries
- People who have experience in complimentary areas, such as the humanities, art and design, and software
If you have colleagues who you think should apply, please feel free to direct them to this form.
If you are a student on a 2019 iGEM team, you can't apply to be a judge this year. But you can apply when you graduate and become an iGEM alum!
Why Should You be an iGEM Judge?
Judging at the annual iGEM Giant Jamboree is an incredibly fulfilling and worthwhile experience for all judges, whether you're returning as a veteran judge or are a new judge this year. Some of the benefits include:
- Contribute to the iGEM Community: By volunteering to judge at the Giant Jamboree, you will contribute to what will be the most meaningful opportunity that these students experience in synthetic biology. Providing feedback to these dedicated students can be life changing for them as they continue through their academic career and beyond.
- Networking: Much like the iGEM teams, you'll have the chance to connect with people from around the globe, to expand your synthetic biology community, and to form new collaborations beyond the Giant Jamboree. You will meet fellow judges, students, and other professionals from around the world and different walks of life.
- Learn About New Technology: You will learn about the latest cutting edge work being done in synthetic biology from student teams who are driven to excel and who test the boundaries of synthetic biology through their projects.
This year we are accepting applications on a rolling basis. We will be evaluating applications at the end of each month starting in May and will contact applicants approximately two weeks after the evaluation period. Status notifications (1. invitation to judge, 2. invitation to serve as a reserve judge, 3. invitation to re-apply, or 4. decline for 2019 with an invitation to apply next year) will be sent in the middle of each month, beginning in June, until our quota is full (expected by August). We encourage you to apply early to increase your chances of being selected!
You can apply to be a judge before knowing if you can fully commit to attending the Giant Jamboree. Applicants who are invited to join the judging panel will be asked to confirm their acceptance. We can also provide an official invitation letter if you require that to secure funding and/or permission from your institute to participate as a judge.
Once we have reached our quota of judges, we will close the application and add a notice to this page.
If you are selected as a judge, you MUST attend the iGEM 2019 Giant Jamboree in Boston (October 31-November 4) in person. We are unable to support remote participation for judges due to the nature of the interactions you will have with the teams throughout the event.
If you can only attend a portion of the Jamboree, this may make judging your assigned teams a challenge. We will work with you to try to accommodate your schedule constraints as best as possible, but we may rescind your invitation to judge in favor of another applicant who can attend the entire event. This will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Instructor judges (current team PIs, instructors, and advisors) will receive a 50% discount on their Jamboree attendance fee.
Judges who are not affiliated with a team will receive free Jamboree attendance.
We are also excited to offer free childcare for all of our judges throughout the Giant Jamboree!
iGEM currently cannot provide travel funding for judges to attend.
Please email traci [AT] igem [DOT] org and/or vinoo [AT] igem [DOT] org if you have questions!
Judge Application Form
Thank you for filling out this form. We look forward to picking a strong judging team for 2019!
Need to make changes?